Silver Lake Cemetery was the first cemetery purchased by the Hebrew Free Burial Association. A $1,500 loan was provided by HFBA member Max Silver to purchase a 4 3/4 acre tract of land on Staten Island. Over the next seventeen years, thousands of Jews from the Lower East Side were buried on this gently inclined hillside. Some days saw the interment of over a dozen individuals, mostly children.
Silver Lake cemetery was filled by 1909 at which time HFBA purchased its second cemetery in Staten Island, Mount Richmond. HFBA engaged numerous local contractors and laborers to make the land suitable for burials. Some contractors became donors to HFBA, and whether Jewish or not, HFBA ensured that no work was done on the Sabbath by any of those it employed. Mt. Richmond Cemetery is still used today by HFBA as its primary burial space.
Cemetery Locations and Hours Please call ahead of time to confirm Cemetery hours
Mount Richmond Cemetery
420 Clarke Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306